Monday 16 July 2012

Another fireplace uncovered

On Saturday I started to cut out some cable runs for wall lights in the living room, I tried the new SDS channelling chisel and can only say this is one of the best and useful tools I`ve come across in years, cuts through the plaster and leaves a perfect cable guide instantly, could possibly do all four runs in a matter of minutes, "hot knife through butter" springs to mind. Impressed! 

Whilst I was waiting for the dust to disperse I thought I would take a look at what was hiding behind the living room boxed in fireplace, crow bar at the ready and the front was off in no time revealing a fully functioning fireplace. My first thoughts are this is a really beautiful fireplace and perhaps could be kept, cleaned up and utilised, the tiled surround is obviously not Victorian so a little digging in the right place(Internet) might be able to date it. So, there I was getting exited thinking I might have found something useful here and in walked her Ladyship, Dael, Liam and Adon, and without a second glance out came the "you can get that ugly thing out" followed with joint agreement from her entourage! I was speechless, I thought I could save a lot of heavy work and a few quid here by keeping it, but alas, looks like it will be going in the skip with the many other things I had thought could be salvaged..........   

No comments:

Post a Comment